Boys & Girls Clubs of the Capital Area (BGCCA) has a long history, from one of the first charters started in Albany in 1892, to the merger of the Albany and Troy Clubs in 2019, to the COVID-19 Pandemic response.

BGCCA has continued to grow and meet the needs of our neighborhoods over the years.  Today, The CLUB stands as a safe space for our youth and a vital resource for the greater community.   

2022 BGCCA History Graphic web.jpg

Food Program 2020

Within 48 hours, the output capacity of BGCCA’s food program more than doubled at the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic in 2020. BGCCA went from serving approximately 1,100 meals to youth in afterschool programs each day to serving over 14,000 meals each week.

From March of 2020 through July of 2021, BGCCA has distributed more than 640,000 free meals in the community. 


Freight Farm 2019

In November of 2019 The Boys & Girls Clubs of the Capital Area (BGCCA), CDPHP, SEFCU, and Brown’s Brewing Company introduced Freight Farm, an innovative new way to fight food insecurity, teach children, and generate revenue through high-tech hydroponic farming.



Boys & Girls Clubs of the Capital Area

In 2019, the Boys & Girls Clubs of Albany and Troy Boys & Girls Club merged to become the Boys & Girls Clubs of the Capital Area.


This merger brought together two strong organizations to become one of the region’s largest youth organizations.


The Boys & Girls Clubs of the Capital Area (BGCCA) serves Albany, Cohoes, Troy, Watervliet, other community locations and provides over 1,400,000 hours of programming each year.

Boys & Girls Clubs of Albany

In 1892, the first Boys & Girls Club was chartered in Albany, NY. Later in 1956, the Club relocated to its current location at 21 Delaware Avenue. John Kearney, was the first member of the Delaware Avenue Clubhouse. John is still actively involved in the organization and currently sits on the Board of Directors.


The Club later partnered with the City School District to begin providing a Universal Prekindergarten program. During the period of 2014-2017, the Club added 10 new after school sites after receiving 21st Century and Empire State After School funding.

John Kearney (2).jpg

Troy Boys & Girls Club

Troy Boys Club (TBC) became incorporated in 1903.  Several years later, TBC became a member of the Federated Boys Clubs in Boston.  In recognition of being one of the 53 founding organizations of the Boys & Girls Club Movement, the Club was named a "Diamond Jubilee Charter.” In 1966, Troy Boys Club allowed girls to attend specialized programming for the first time. Later that year, the main facility of the Club was dedicated in downtown Troy and continues to be used today.


In 1991, Troy Boys & Girls Club (TBGC) was officially re-incorporated and recognized girls as "official” members. In 2003, TBGC celebrated its centennial anniversary of providing youth services to the kids who need us most. In 2014, TBGC licensed the Club as a catering site which now provides over 250,000 meals to at-risk youth throughout the Capital Area each year.


Boys & Girls Clubs of America

Boys & Girls Clubs of America had its beginnings in 1860 with three women in Hartford, CT; Mary Goodwin, Alice Goodwin and Elizabeth Hammersley. Believing that boys who roamed the streets should have a positive alternative, they organized the first Club. A cause was born.


Boys & Girls Clubs annually serve nearly 4 million young people, through membership and community outreach, in over 4,100 Club facilities throughout the country and BGCA-affiliated Youth Centers on U.S. military installations worldwide.

Learn more about the Boys & Girls Clubs of America: